Last month AimerLaVie presented a new project with the name ‘People that are special’, that will continue through this year and the next, hoping to capture the magic of authenticity and beauty in each one’s life. For me the selection of these people is unique; they are unknown heroes amongst reality, warriors of their truth, fighters of life… these people are you, me and everyone else who is searching for a path, a light, an end to the tunnel. Enjoy the journey as the story of each individual unveils.
PEOPLE THAT AMAZE ME: MIHALIS
How can I describe Mihalis in a paragraph? Well, I will try to explain how amazing he is as a person but also as an artist, but to be honest a picture is worth a thousand words; his portfolio on Instagram (@mihalisnyc) is more than enough, so just pay a visit at his account, scroll down and have a look at his artwork to understand my point.
I’m more than positive -mark my words- that one day Mihalis will be a proven genius, especially when it comes to plants and flowers… He knows a LOT about nature and if there is something he is not sure about, give him some time and he’ll definitely come back with facts and figures from credible sources that he wants to share with the world such as NCBI.nlm.nih.gov, nationalzoo.si.edu, 350.org, NRDC.org and birdlifecyprus.org
Mihalis is confident when sharing his thoughts and captivating when he speaks. He has an infinite energy for life and a passion for his work; this makes it easy to motivate so many people around him everyday. I am just a humble follower; Amazed by his capabilities and skills! Always thrilled to talk to him about almost anything because I see him as my mentor, my teacher for life. In a world that is constantly trying to change us, he is genuinely himself; and for that he is my hero!
Please have a look at his personal account on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/mihalisnyc/ ) and feel free to like and share it, or send him questions and share your concerns; trust me, Mihalis is one of the best out there regarding plant design, care and advice.
10 random things about me
- Best compliment I have received: “You are very talented”
- My greatest strength: My determination. Got that from my mom.
- My greatest weakness: Forgetting the bigger picture and focusing on (silly) little things. It works to my advantage when I make art, it makes me creative. However, in a social context it makes me seem awkward, weird and obsessive.
- Perfect pizza for me: Unless it is Pizza pou ton Kotsio then: Mushrooms, Truffle Oil, Arugula, Olives, Peppers and is Gluten Free (so fancy 😛 )
- First thought when I wOke up this morning: What’s the time and where is my phone and I am late.
- I hate being questioned about my personal life from strangers or people I just met.
- The most beautiful name I’ve ever heard: I love most Ancient Greek names; I think they are the most beautiful names.
- I cheer up with being around Plants and Animals, Discovering things, Good news about the environment, Silly scenes with strangers on the street, The first signs of Spring, My best friends’ company, Time with my nieces, My lover looking at me with a full heart, Realizing what matters.
- The thing that makes me forget reality: Reality for me is our suffering planet, people blissfully unaware of their individual effect on it, and governments not doing enough to educate the masses about species going extinct and the impact of global warming for the least developed countries. The fear of nuclear weapons being normalized or even worse used… That is reality. When I am creating, making art puts me in a zone where nothing exists and my body has a mind of its own. It has been the substitute to my walks out in the mountains and meadows in Cyprus. When I’m out in nature the only thing that matters is what is under my feet, what is under each rock, how does that plant smell; it is my antidepressant, my solace and sanctuary. That is why the rest of my time I worry so much about it and try to educate people.
- My favorite word: ornitha!!!
Mihalis comes from Dhali, a small town in Cyprus; he is studying Biology at Hunter College in New York at the moment and he often advocates the protection of the environment.